The Statue of Liberty is one of the most iconic monuments in the United States, and it's a must-see for anyone visiting New York City. Located on Liberty Island in the New York Harbor, the Statue of Liberty stands as a symbol of freedom and has been a beacon of hope for immigrants since its dedication in 1886. Here are 10 things to do in the Statue of Liberty, New York City, United States.
1. Take a Guided Tour: The Statue of Liberty is open to the public, and visitors can take a guided tour of the monument, which includes a trip to the top of the pedestal and a view of the iconic statue. There are also audio tours available in multiple languages.
2. Climb the Staircase: The original staircase of the Statue of Liberty is still intact and is open to visitors. The climb is steep, but the view from the top of the pedestal is worth it.
3. Visit the Museum: The Statue of Liberty Museum opened in 2019 and offers visitors a chance to learn more about the history of the statue and the people who made it possible. The museum also includes an interactive exhibit about the statue’s construction and a 3D model of the statue.
4. Explore the Grounds: The grounds of Liberty Island are open to the public and offer a variety of activities, including a walking tour of the island and a visit to the Statue of Liberty’s original torch.
5. Take a Ferry Ride: Visitors can take a ferry ride to Liberty Island from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan. The ferry ride offers stunning views of the New York City skyline and the Statue of Liberty.
6. Visit the Pedestal: The pedestal of the Statue of Liberty is open to the public and offers a unique perspective of the statue. Visitors can also explore the museum located in the pedestal, which includes a variety of artifacts and interactive exhibits.
7. Take a Picture: The Statue of Liberty is one of the most photographed monuments in the world, and visitors can take their own pictures of the statue.
8. Watch the Sunset: Watching the sunset from Liberty Island is a popular activity for visitors. The view of the New York City skyline is breathtaking.
9. Visit the Gift Shop: The Statue of Liberty Gift Shop offers a variety of souvenirs and memorabilia, including replicas of the statue, books, and apparel.
10. Attend a Special Event: The Statue of Liberty hosts a variety of special events throughout the year, including fireworks displays, concerts, and more.
Visiting the Statue of Liberty is a must for anyone visiting New York City. With its iconic statue, museum, and breathtaking views, the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of freedom and hope for all who visit.